Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (and to start conversations BEFORE we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum. You are required to write AT LEAST two paragraphs a week (in one or more postings).
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Who does Dan Gregory remind you of?
When I saw this question written on the blackboard ( or the greenboard, as it should be called), I also saw the face of my father on it. He was a "Dan Gregory", fascinated by a dictator-style of ruling such as Dan was with his idol, Mussolini. How Dan Gregory had been tormented in his youth with those over him in authority and how he passed on this abuse is similar to how my father behaves. These types of people feel that it's only fair since they were treated like shit that they continue this cycle of destructive behavior. During my childhood, to say that my father placed unreal expectations on me is an understatement. I graduated valedictorian in private Armenian grade school, having learned two languages fluently by the age of 12, hadn't ever really gotten in any sorts of trouble, yet he always found things to point out how "stupid" I was. It could have been the fact that I only knew two languages and not seven, the number of tongues that he knew. Or that I was a Momma's boy because I liked my mom more than his punk ass, since she wasn't such a damn hater. It just felt like no matter what I did, could never please this man, a feeling I'm sure Rabo felt when dealing with such a difficult personality as Dan Gregory's. Now before you think I hate my Dad's guts, that's not the case. Just as Dan had suffered through a rough upbringing, my dad share an equal fate. He did and acted in such a way because this is the way he knew how to show love. A fucked up way, nonetheless, but that's only my opinion. I could go on forever and bash him, but the point I'm trying to make here is that We must understand that the Dan gregory's we encounter from here on out are by no means a reflection of us, rather an obstacle we must face to realize our true self esteem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm happy you grew from it and didnt let him destroy your life the way people have destroyed it for him. Hopefully youll never do that to your child ;-).
ReplyDelete