Monday, November 1, 2010

The Labor of Love

This is one of my collections.

Standing tall and brave
Heavy rocks push down your cheeks
Long arms stretch side to side to keep a balance
How long will this last

Your destiny was chosen for you
And there are no negotiations
Your bare feet on hard surface must stand strong and firm
This load is too heavy to carry, can you ask for help

The day is still young
There is no time for a smile or makeup
Not even time to pose for this picture
This toiling must go on and on forever

Are you sad or angry or just content?
Is this the picture of hard work?
You must be a hero to the children in your neighborhood

1 comment:

  1. I really like this poem. The title stuck out and grabbed my attention and as I read I find myself deeper into what the message may be behind this poem. The third stanza beings out a lot of questions in my mind - it makes me think a number of different things. Is this piece about something particularity ?

    ReplyDelete