Saturday, November 20, 2010

Class Discussion: The Importance of an Education

This week in class we had discussed Act II from "Raisin in The Sun" and one of the topics addressed were both George's and Beneatha's views of the school system. This topic arose many passionate responses from the class and I wanted to continue making my point. School may not be for everyone, especially for those who are forced by their parents to attend. I see this everyday at school from students who complain about doing any work, about being in attendance for class and who don't put in any sort of effort and in-class participation. Sometimes I just want to just call them out on it because no one is holding a gun to their head telling them to come to school. They are blind, just as I was at their age, to the opportunity that lays before them in the form of an education. They care to impress others with flashy clothes, a nice car and cool phones, don't they realize that without a proper education they wouldn't be able to buy all those things in the future? I doubt mommy and daddy will continue paying for them through their 30s. Do these students also not realize that educating your mind is crucial in giving you a voice in today's world, that an intelligible and articulated person can express to the world their opinion on how to make it a better place?We all know the answers to these questions and I pose them to you only to make a point. We need to realize the importance of an education so that we have a desire to better ourselves just like the character of Beneatha. I once used to live in ignorance by thinking school was pure bullshit until I went out into the "Real World" and the truth smacked me in the face with the quickness. I wish to make my mistake a lesson to others, not only for their own good but for that of myself and others, because the success of our nation depends on it.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you, education is very important in todays world. Just like you, I was in queens borough community collage ten years ago trying to better my self but there were lots of things holding me back.
    Within these past ten years, I have worked from one dead end job to another with very little pay. Sometimes I wish, some of these students who are not taking their education seriously will listen to people like me and you. We have being out there in the real world without education and it is no fun.
    It is no fun working harder than your boss who has a collage degree and he gets paid more and you get paid less.

    ReplyDelete