Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Eid

Today is Eid-ul-Adha. One of the two biggest celebrations for Muslims. Eid, means happy day and Muslims have two Eids. It is the day after the annual pilgrimage to Mecca. During this time millions of Muslims from around the world gather in Mecca and they perform age-old traditions performed by the prophets of Islam. And after the pilgrimage is completed on the 9th of the lunar month, they offer slaughtering of animals the next day. And Muslims all over the world offer slaughtering after the final day of pilgrimage. It is a very festive day for Muslims. They go meet and greet each other. And there is feast in every Muslim’s house. However, I could not partake in any of these activities of Eid. I was stuck in school from 9 am to 8 pm. I have 4 classes on Tuesdays and I had exams in three of my four classes. Therefore, I couldn’t even think of skipping school. On top of that, my son is very sick. The change of season has taken its toll on him. He has a fever that has been going up and down. And anything he eats, he vomits out. Eid is supposed to be a joyous time for the Muslims. But this year, I have gone through my worst Eid experience. I sincerely hope that no one ever has to go through such an experience on such a festive occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment