Did you hear about the rose that grew
from a crack in the concrete?
Proving natures law is wrong it
learned to walk without having feet.
Funny it seems, but by keeping it's dreams
It learned to breathe dresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete
When no one else ever cared.
by Tupac shakur
I like this poem because the author is comparing himself to a rose and saying that he came from a bad place but grew up to become a good man. He got to a place and accomplished things that no one thought he might have.
I chose to post this poem because Tupac is one of my favorite rappers but aside from making music he was also a poet. I think anyone who's a fan of Rap like myself would agree that its also poetry.
I liked the fact that you used a poem by Tupac. He was one and still is one of the best rappers (witch is a form of poetry) of all time. In my opinion Tupac is the most talented lyricist of all time. I also like the comparison between himself and the rose as well as the concrete and the ghetto neighborhoods he grew up in. I believe he choose the rose because it is one of the most popular flowers. I know it sounds weird a popular flower but if you think about it the rose is often used in many examples of flowers and as other symbols. Tupac was raised in “ghetto” neighborhoods witch makes it hard to live in those neighborhoods near imposable almost as impossible as a rose growing from the concrete.
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting that you chose a poem from tupac. It's very unexpected. Many people may not consider rap as art but I do believe its a powerful form of self expression. I love how Tupac expresses that you can succeed despite the odds. He obviously is referring to his everyday stuggles growing up in the "ghetto" and how he surpassed all odds, like the rose. Despite the putdowns and the suffocating conditions, like the concete, he grew into a rose. One thing I like about this poem is that it can be applicable to everyone. You don't have to grow up in the ghetto or be in his shoes to understand his message. I personally take it as inspiration to move foward and work with your enviorment, to adapt, basically make it work. Why fall just because it doesn't look easy? The reward at the end will be worthwhile and beautiful, like a rose.
ReplyDelete