Saturday, September 11, 2010

No Exit

From this poem I get numerous different ideas about what’s going on, In the first stanza of the poem I get the idea that someone is suffering from insomnia and being unable to rest but that Idea changes as I read further into the poem. After reading the whole poem I was able to infer that the person in the poem is restless and trying to find a direction in life but there is nothing there to guide him to where he wants to go. As the title says there is no way out for the person so they are forced to wander aimlessly looking for an escape/utopia. The tone the poem sets is a gloomy one where try as hard as they might, the person in the poem is unable to escape.

After viewing the image, I imagine that the person might be trying to escape from who they are becoming. From the image I can infer that the person is turning into a pig and trying to escape their fate but try as they must they can’t because they are unable to find an exit. When I searched the title, a French play by Jean-Paul Sartre came up which is about three people locked in a room together for eternity which can relate to the poem where the person in the poem is locked in a place where there is no escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment