Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mistake

Mistakes are what you leave out
for other people to put away.

They are the picture painted out of the picture which is nonsense
because already I can picture them.

Mistakes are the only thing you can trust to go wrong and that's how
they right themselves no matter how much you knock them over.

From the outside it might be a blemish or stumble;
inside it's the scarof who your are.

The point of interest in any story is where it goes off the tracks.

That's how we keep track of time
I'd be an automatic writer and I'm not.

But this is coming out all right, isn't it?

This poem is by Sharon Dolin from Serious Pink. I know some could'nt get the book so I would like to share this poem that really caught my attention as I was reading through the series of poems. I honestly laughed as I read this because I thought to myself " this is so true". The first stanza really grabbed me because when someone does make a mistake, they don't want to take the blame and other people end up cleaning your mess. The fourth stanza really is a message for our generation. We are being brought up in a world where media and TV shape our views of what is beautiful and defines what "normal" is for us. In this stanza Dolin points out that mistakes are what makes you, you. It's the scar of who you are. All the imperfections and flaws are what makes you unique and an individual. I think this is a positive message that generation needs. Dolin also says in the fifth stanza that mistakes are what makes life interesting, perfection is boring. I personally love this poem because it's not all roses, it lets me know that yes im not perfect but that makes me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment