What does this invoke within after staring at it for over five seconds? Whenever I look at it, it's always something different, which is one of the coolest things about abstract art. It's as if Chidi wants to leave his artwork open for interpretation to his audience so we can all share in his vision in our own special way. Today I see remnants of a tattoo a sailor would be pining over after a drunken night out on port. Yesterday it was the start of a graffiti piece by an up and coming street artist eager to rise the ranks of infamy and crime. Tomorrow it could be something totally different in meaning, like the way my heart would look after smoking two packs a day for 20 years. So the next time you or someone else is quick to criticize and give up on an abstract piece because you don't get what the artist is trying to convey, or conclude that he/she was on some shit when creating it, cast your negative judgement aside and think "what does this work conjure up inside me?", for it's at that moment when you will truly realize the epic greatness of abstract art.
Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (and to start conversations BEFORE we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum. You are required to write AT LEAST two paragraphs a week (in one or more postings).
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Abstract art: "Delightful" by Chidi Okoye
I noticed posts on abstract art and assumed it was a topic discussed in class this past Thursday (was out sick), therefore I would like to discuss an abstract painting which always stimulates my senses upon sight. Nigerian-born artist Chidi Okoye kills it on the regular whenever his hands touch anything, with the end result being either a remarkable sculpture or breathtaking painting. A specific piece I want to hit on is the called "Delightful", one very abstract yet clearly stunning work of art. Here is the link so you can witness what I'm talking about; http://www.modernartimages.com/delightfulmixedmedia.htm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment