I've seen A Raisin in the Sun prior to watching it in class this week. I never really had any expectations although I hoped some things were different from the play. I always wanted the Mother to slap Walter Lee instead of Benny...especially for this selfish behavior. Walter annoyed me the entire movie because he didn't realize how he was acting and everything was about him. I understand sometimes you have to put yourself first but everyone was in the same position and suffering...not just him. He had his head wrapped around the false notion of "The American Dream". I think that's something that was painted to make this country look perfect and sadly Walter fell for it. I commend the Mother for standing firm and letting everyone know who was the boss at the end of the day.
I was looking forward to seeing Benny cut her hair in the movie and learning a little more about Walter Lee's "business partners". But every movie cuts out parts when it's a film adaptation. I didn't expect the acting to be so powerful and filled with passion. It reminded me how much of a struggle the family went through and I felt empathetic the entire time I watched it.
No comments:
Post a Comment