Welcome to the blog for Prof. John Talbird's English 102 class. The purpose of this site is two-fold: 1) to continue the conversations we start in class (and to start conversations BEFORE we get to class) and 2) to practice our writing/reading on a weekly basis in an informal forum. You are required to write AT LEAST two paragraphs a week (in one or more postings).
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Completing the circle
Looking back to our first day of class, when Professor told us to rearrange the desks in a circle, I wasn't too keen on the idea. I liked to just walk into class, sit at my desk and either stare at the blackboard, at the professor lecturing, or out the window. I now had to face everyone in my class, something I wasn't used to in school. At first it was uncomfortable because I didn't know where to look without making it seem like I was staring at someone, kinda like when you're riding on a train. At least there you had advertisements to pretend to look interested in. The weirdest thing though was that over time it made sense why we did this. It made all of us feel equally involved in the class, as compared to the normal class setup where the front row is involved and the back row is busy texting. Sure we texted in our class too, but Professor would call us out on it and make us put them away. The circle also allowed us the opportunity to work on our public speaking skills since all eyes were on whoever was speaking. This helped many students who were quiet in the beginning of the semester find their voice and overcome whatever anxiety they might have had in speaking to an audience. What was the most beautiful thing about this circle though was what went on in the middle of it. We each contributed to this as the circle was welcoming and encouraging for freedom of self expression, never judging or discriminating. It had points of views coming from many different people, an eclectic group of student varying in religion, sexuality, ethnicity and body hair (yes, us armenian men are hairy), we all possess different qualities but shared a circle of knowledge and a foundation of respect for one another. Just as I took part in starting this circle on that first day, unsure of where it was going, along with the rest of my class I complete this circle with the satisfaction of having discovered more about who I am, how I'm different from my peers and how these differences actually brings me closer to them. The memories will live on and the circle will continue on next semester. I'm just glad that I was able to have been in this special circle with you all. Thanks for the good laughs and giving the best gift you could give anyone in your lifetime...yourself. Good luck to you all and I wish us continued success in our future endeavors...even that guy who snuck into class trying to get a free slice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
TIP: when riding the train,try wearing sun glasses. People might thing your strange, but it beats staring at the ads and rereading them over and over for 30 minuts. It was great having you in the circle.
ReplyDelete