What is the American Dream? I think that answer would vary, depending on who you ask. Being that I'm American and born and raised in New York, the "American Dream" to me is an over-rated, disillusion.
However, I didn't always feel this way. I use to think, the "American Dream"was the idea of being married and having a family, and a house with a fence and a white dog and $$- literally that's exactly what I thought. Than I grew up a little bit and became aware of my surroundings and the struggles that awaited me as I would travel into adulthood. I think the phrase was created way-back-when, America was a bit better than what it is today. I believe the term was created during the depression, which was a time people were searching for hope. Now, in 2010, I don't think its a term that should even be used due to the fact everyone's American Dream varies, depending on your values and way of life. They tell you about the American Dream when you're young in school and you kind of think, " Damn, I want the American Dream." They don't tell you how hard it is to get there and how much time,effort,pain and blood, sometimes goes into accomplishing that " DREAM".
All in all, when I think American Dream, I hope that MY AMERICAN DREAM, will consist of stability, good health , education, and love. A house, A backyard, expensive cars and LOTS of $$ are all things I've never had but are all things people usually incorporate in the " American Dream Image" .
No comments:
Post a Comment